Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Firefighter's Wife


I saw this poem online and it hit home. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there who's felt this way, so I put it together with some pictures I found & made this post....I'm very proud of my FF hubby!


A Firefighter's Wife

It takes a special kind of man to do what our husbands do….but if you think about the way we live, you'll see we're pretty special too.


With 24 hour shifts, investigations & all the calls we've learned to fix our own cars, repair bikes & patch the walls. We calm the children's fears at night, battle gremlins, ghosts & gnomes. Dad would be here to do it, but he's saving lives & homes.


Now please don't get me started on what it takes to raise our kids. I get enough advice from Mom on do's & don'ts & did's. I mean, really, what kind of threat is this for a kid who's being bad: "It might be a couple of days from now, but just wait til I tell your Dad!"


We communicate by texting, sticky notes, cell phones & voicemail. On Valentine's Day he e-mails virtual roses without fail. Interrupted family dinners, he's working yet another Christmas Day….you sigh as you think of all the years that things will be this way.

Tonight Mom's got the kids, your coats are on, you're almost out the door. This time you're really going out, unlike all the years before. You think of all the fun you'll have when from his hip you hear a tone. Oh, well, maybe next year…another birthday spent alone.


You wave & yell, "I love you" as he rushes past, memorizing the smile he gives you for fear it just might be your last. You smile until he's out of sight before you let the teardrops pour because even on this special night, there's folks who need him more.

You're our heroes & we love you, never get us wrong. We know your days are rough, they're challenging and they’re long. But it takes a different kind of woman to marry into this way of life. You think it's tough to be a firefighter? Try being a firefighter’s wife.



No comments:

Post a Comment